Research Associate Colony Manager
Research Associate (Colony Manager)
We are seeking a Research Associate (colony manager) that will provide small rodent colony management for primarily our outsourced colonies. The colony manager will interface with personnel (CROs and internal) that breed animal models of disease and will not be required to perform hands-on animal laboratory work. This position will report to Study Management in the Pharmacology and Toxicology department.
- Track animal model breeding, colony size, colony generations, health surveillance, phenotype, genetic quality control, cryopreservation and genotyping.
- Participate in breeding performance and animal health and husbandry discussions.
- Forecast timelines and maintain live colony database for multiple animal models. Maintain current cryopreservation logs.
Serve as the point person for managing colony status updates. Provide regular updates to internal stakeholders and participate in colony update meetings.
- Maintain collaborative relationships and communications with external service providers to ensure appropriate animal line breeding schemes. This includes routine teleconferences and phone communication to ensure breeding facilities are maintaining an appropriate breeding and genotyping plans. Also, collaborate with staff that handle internal breeding activities.
- May participate in service provider evaluation, qualification and outsourcing.
- Manage and track supplier cost, performance and issues.
- Facilitate colony transfer logistics between breeding and study sites.
- Work closely with Study Managers and Outsourcing Manager to ensure that project needs met.
- Implement and maintain colony-tracking procedures with accuracy.
- Communicates and manages issues and knows when and how to escalate issues to management and outsourcing.
- Assist management with colony budget and contracting.
- As time allows, participate in additional activities that support the department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences
- Detail oriented and organized
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, databases, data entry, graphs, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in a research environment and an understanding of basic study design principles and IACUC requirements.
- Must be able to establish and maintain professional, productive and courteous interactions which promote positive teamwork.
- Must possess sound business judgment and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, take initiative and make recommendations in resolving problems.
- The ability to function effectively as a member of a team, and a willingness to participate in activities and assignments that will benefit or will contribute to the accomplishment of team objectives.
Preferred Qualifications (Not Required)
- AALAS certifications and working with CROs.
- A general understanding of Mendelian genetics, animal husbandry and health status, rodent developmental stages, routinely used strains and commonly used rodent breeding schemes is required. Familiarity with transgenic model creation
Job Type: Contract
Location: Brisbane, CA
Job ID: 20-04360
Date Updated: July 2, 2020